Just throw the chicken, peppers, onion and some spices in one pan and find out just how tasty these easy sheet pan chicken fajitas are. There really isn’t much better if you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner.
As you can tell if you are following this blog… there are three things I love when it comes to cooking – easy, one pan recipes that are Mexican! I admit I have quite a few. But they the spices just make them tastes so good. And for anyone who loves to cook, I’m sure you’re in the same boat as me where there are just days that you feel a little lazy (especially during the week) and these easy sheet pan chicken fajitas are perfect for precisely those type of days.
So when I’m feeling lazy but want something super tasty, this is a go-to meal of mine. I do try to mix it up and try as I may, a lot of times I come back to these ease sheet pan chicken fajitas. Really the only work is cutting the peppers and onions. Other than that you throw it in a sheet pan and let the oven do the work! And yes you can also cook all of this in a skillet, but then you have to stand there! I mean it’s really not that much work. Just cook the chicken for about 4 minutes per side, then cook the peppers and onion for about 10 minutes or until they’re starting to char.
If you want to make these easy sheet pan chicken fajitas even easier, you can just buy some fajita seasoning, but I usually always have the spices needed to make a homemade fajita seasoning. So for your lazy days (especially if it’s Taco Tuesday), give this one a try!
What Ingredients are in this Easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe?
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Produce – bell peppers, white onion, cilantro, limes avocado
- Spices – chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, black pepper
- Olive oil
- Flour tortillas
- Pepper jack cheese
How to Make Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas in Oven
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a small bowl, mix together the spices for the fajita seasoning.
- In a bowl or ziploc bag add the chicken, 2 tbsp olive oil and the spices and mix to combine so the chicken is well coated.
- Chop the peppers and onion. In a large bowl, add the peppers, onion, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Spread the chicken and chopped vegetables on a baking sheet, leaving chicken on one side and vegetables on the other side.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and peppers are beginning to char. Remove from oven and mix in chopped cilantro. Serve the chicken and vegetables over warm tortillas with some avocado, cheese and additional toppings if desired.
Tips for Great Chicken Fajitas
- You don’t need to line the baking sheet with parchment paper or foil as the chicken and veggies will just slide right off.
- Slice the chicken and vegetables as close to the same thickness as possible so they cook evenly.
- Toss the chicken and vegetables halfway through when baking in the oven to ensure everything gets charred.
- If you have a convection oven, use it as it will brown the vegetables better.
Can I Cook These Fajitas on the Stove Top?
Yes you can but these are called sheet pan fajitas for a reason. If you want to cook on the stove, just heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken with spices and cook 3-4 minutes per side or until done. Remove and add peppers and onions and cook for 5-7 minutes or until peppers start to char. Add chicken back in to warm through and serve immediately.
Can I Use Different Vegetables for the Fajitas?
While onions and bell peppers are the most traditional veggies included in fajitas, you can use any type of vegetable you like. However, you might have to change the cooking time if you are using a vegetable that is a littler heartier.
Do I Line the Sheet Pan?
No. The chicken and veggies don’t stick to the sheet pan and will just slide right off. Yes it takes a minute to clean but you only have one dish you’re cleaning anyway!
How to Reheat Chicken Fajitas
To prevent the chicken from becoming rubbery if you just microwave the chicken, just heat the chicken and veggies in a skillet with some oil over medium heat until everything is warmed through.
Other Mexican Recipes
- Crispy Pork Carnitas
- Sweet Potato Fajitas
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
- Spiralized Sweet Potato Enchilada Skillet
Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 4 bell peppers (choice of green, red, orange or yellow), seeds removed and sliced into thin strips
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 10 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2-3 limes
- Guacamole or avocado slices
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In large bowl, add sliced peppers, onion, 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine and spread on one side of large baking sheet in an even layer.
- In same large bowl, toss together the chicken, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, kosher salt, black pepper and 2 tbsp olive oil. Spread chicken on the other side of the large baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the chicken is browned and the peppers are beginning to char. Remove from oven and add in cilantro, mixing throughout
- Serve over warm tortillas, with some avocado, cheese and lime if desired on top.