Sweet potato and black bean tacos. So it’s another taco recipe because it is Taco Tuesday! And yes it’s another meatless taco recipe, but when I talk about meatless recipes, this one might be #1 and that’s for ANY meatless recipe I make. These tacos are actually inspired from one I the blogs I follow daily – Cooking Classy. Come to think of it, discovering this recipe is the reason I follow her to begin with.
Thinking back, it gets a little hazy, but I really believe these sweet potato and black bean tacos were the recipe that made me love sweet potatoes as much as I do. And as you can tell I really love sweet potatoes nowadays, as about every fourth recipe calls for them somewhere.
One of the reasons I make so many meatless tacos is because I absolutely love tacos! I could eat them every day and be content. So by making them healthy, I get to have them more often without the guilt or the bad calories. And these sweet potato and black bean tacos couldn’t be easier or taste better! Yes I may add a little extra feta cheese, but you’ve got to have some fat in there! Hope you enjoy!
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 limes, juiced + more for garnish
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place diced sweet potatoes in medium bowl and add 4 Tbsp olive oil, cumin, paprika, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Mix until everything is coated. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and add sweet potatoes. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tender, tossing halfway through.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until slightly caramelized which should take about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the black beans, corn, honey and lime juice. Add roasted sweet potatoes and cilantro and mix.
- For tortillas, heat small skillet over medium heat and cook for 30 seconds on both side. Serve sweet potato mix over warm tortillas with some avocado and feta cheese or desired toppings. Enjoy!