These sweet potato and black bean tacos are the perfect healthy vegetarian option when you craving tacos, but don’t want to feel guilty eating them.
Yes it’s another taco recipe, and yes it’s another meatless taco recipe, but when I talk about meatless recipes, this one might be #1 and that’s for ANY meatless recipe I make. These tacos are actually inspired from one I the blogs I follow daily – Cooking Classy. Come to think of it, discovering this recipe is the reason I follow her to begin with.
Thinking back, it gets a little hazy, but I really believe these sweet potato and black bean tacos were the recipe that made me love sweet potatoes as much as I do. And as you can tell I really love sweet potatoes nowadays, as about every fourth recipe calls for them somewhere.
One of the reasons I make so many meatless tacos is because I absolutely love tacos! I could eat them every day and be content. So by making them healthy, I get to have them more often without the guilt or the bad calories. And these sweet potato and black bean tacos couldn’t be easier or taste better! Yes I may add a little extra feta cheese, but you’ve got to have some fat in there! Hope you enjoy!
What Ingredients are in this Sweet Potato Taco Recipe?
- Produce – sweet potatoes, sweet onion, garlic, corn, lime, cilantro, avocado
- Olive oil
- Produce – cumin, paprika, chili powder, coriander, salt, black pepper
- Black beans
- Feta cheese
- Corn tortillas
How to Make Sweet Potato Tacos
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Add diced sweet potatoes, 3 tbsp olive oil, cumin paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper to a medium bowl and mix until everything is coated. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add the sweet potatoes in an even layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tender, tossing halfway through.
- When sweet potatoes are cooking, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the black beans, corn, honey and lime juice.
- Add the roasted sweet potatoes and cilantro and mix. Serve sweet potato mix over warmed tortillas with some feta cheese and avocado.
Can I Replace the Sweet Potatoes?
Yes. You can use regular potatoes or even butternut squash.
How Do You Cook Corn Tortillas?
Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat and cook for the tortillas 30 seconds on both side. You can also add a dash of olive oil when cooking them.
Other Taco Recipes
- Brussels Sprouts Tacos
- Grilled Chicken Tacos
- Crispy Tofu Tacos
- Cuban Mojo Pulled Pork Tacos
- Sweet Potato Fajitas
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15.5 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 limes, juiced + more for garnish
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place diced sweet potatoes in medium bowl and add 3 tbsp olive oil, cumin, paprika, chili powder, ground coriander, salt and pepper. Mix until everything is coated. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and add sweet potatoes. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tender, tossing halfway through.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until slightly caramelized which should take about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the black beans, corn, honey and lime juice. Add roasted sweet potatoes and cilantro and mix.
- For tortillas, heat small skillet over medium-high heat and cook for 30 seconds on both side. Serve sweet potato mix over warm tortillas with some avocado and feta cheese or desired toppings.