These chicken tacos are slow cooked in a crockpot but then thrown in the broiler at the end to get them crispy like carnitas. Oh hey it’s Taco Tuesday again! It may seem like I have a taco recipe every couple of weeks… because I do! Luckily I still have plenty more, so if you like tacos as much as I do there are still more down the road. Speaking of Taco Tuesday, do you ever wonder how it started? I imagine it’s because the day and meal both start with a “T.” Doing research I found that Taco John’s started it as a promotion in the 1980’s and still sends cease-and-desist letters every once in a while to other restaurants that use the promotion. I hope I don’t get in trouble!
But today is about slow cooker crispy chicken tacos. There really isn’t much better than slow cooker recipes. I love to be able to just throw everything in the crock pot in the morning and set it and forget it.
When it comes to tacos, I like meat with a little crunch so I throw them in the broiler at the end to get them crispy. I hope you give these a try and enjoy! And if you like to use your slow cooker, try this Indian butter chicken.
Other Taco Recipes
- Slow Roasted Pork Carnitas
- Caribbean Shrimp Tacos
- Cider Beer Braised Pork Tacos
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Grilled Chicken Tacos
Slow Cooker Crispy Chicken Tacos
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium white onion, diced & divided
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 cup beer (Dos Equis or Corona)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- Corn Tortillas
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- Limes for serving
- Add the chicken, 1/2 of the chopped onion, garlic cloves, beer, chili powder, cumin, paprika, kosher salt, ground coriander, black pepper and juice of one lime into a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Shred chicken.
- Once chicken is cooked, preheat broiler and place rack at top. Grease large baking sheet with cooking spray. Using slotted spoon, transfer shredded chicken to baking sheet and spread throughout in even layer. Place under broiler for about 5 minutes or until edges start to brown. Remove from oven and add 1/2 cup of leftover juice from slow cooker. Broil for additional 5 minutes. Remove again and add 1/2 cup of juice and broil again for 5 minutes.
- For tortillas, heat small skillet over medium heat and cook for 30 seconds on both side. Serve chicken over warm tortillas with fresh onion, cilantro, avocado and lime juice. Enjoy!