These Instant Pot chicken tacos can be prepared in less than 30 minutes but are packed with so much flavor, you’d think they were cooking for 8 hours.
I’ve been sharing quite a few Instant Pot recipes lately. My apologies as I know I’m a little late to the bandwagon, but I just can’t help it! I’m looking for any excuse to use it these days and am having a blast trying new recipes. So today is all about chicken tacos.
Like all my Instant Pot recipes so far, this is something that can easily be made in a slow cooker. But the point of the Instant Pot is to have the same delicious recipe in a quarter or even an eighth of the time. And these Instant Pot chicken tacos can be prepared in literally 30 minutes from start to finish! That’s hard to beat these days.
Truth be told, quite a bit of the taste from these Instant Pot shredded chicken tacos comes from the salsa you use. So make sure you use a salsa you like. This will also determine the heat level of the tacos. Oh and as I mentioned before, you can make these if you don’t have an Instant Pot. Just throw in the slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. But I highly recommend joining the Instant Pot revolution as I did.
What Ingredients are in this Instant Pot Chicken Taco Recipe?
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Produce – sweet onion, garlic, lime, cilantro
- Light brown sugar
- Spices – chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, coriander, cinnamon
- Store-bought salsa
- Mild green chilis
- Flour tortillas
- Toppings – avocado, tomatoes, cheese
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Combine all of the ingredients except the lime juice and cilantro in the Instant Pot.
- Close lid and turn vent to “sealing.” Set Instant Pot to “poultry” and time for 15 minutes. Allow it to naturally release.
- Shred chicken and stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve chicken with warm tortillas and desired toppings.
Can I Make this if I Don’t Have an Instant Pot?
Yes. Just throw all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours and then shred the chicken and serve.
Other Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup medium salsa
- 1 (4 oz can) diced green chilis
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- flour tortillas
- toppings of your choice (avocado, tomatoes, onion, cheese, etc...)
- In Instant Pot, combine chicken, onion, garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, cinnamon, salsa and green chilis
- Close lid and turn vent to "sealing." Set Instant Pot to "poultry" and set for 15 minutes. Allow it to naturally release.
- Shred chicken and stir in lime juice and cilantro. Serve chicken in warm tortillas with your desired toppings.