With spiralized sweet potatoes, black beans, corn, tortillas and a homemade enchilada sauce, this sweet potato skillet is a healthy way to satisfy your enchilada craving.
If you’re like me and love Mexican food but are looking for something on the healthier side, then this spiralized sweet potato enchilada skillet will do the trick! And if you like sweet potatoes, then adding Mexican spices to them is a great way to infuse flavor. You may have remembered that I shared a red enchilada sauce previously. Well it was made specifically for this dish.
This was inspired by a recipe I found from Pinterest. I was actually looking for spiralized sweet potato recipes and came across it. What I love about this sweet potato skillet recipe is it has all of the flavors of enchiladas, but is a unique take on it with the spiralized sweet potatoes. Oh and it can all be made in one skillet, which is never a bad thing in my eyes.
Did I mention this can be made in 30 minutes? Just another reason to make this when you feel like something easy and healthy. So if you’re looking for spiralized sweet potato recipes like I was, or just love Mexican flavors but something on the lighter side, this is the recipe for you.
What Ingredients are in this Spiralized Sweet Potato Enchilada Skillet Recipe?
- Olive oil
- Produce – sweet onion, green bell pepper, sweet potato, garlic, corn, cilantro, avocado, limes
- Black beans
- Corn tortillas
- Enchilada sauce
- Pepper jack cheese
How to Make this Spiralized Sweet Potato Enchilada Skillet
- Spiralize the sweet potatoes.
- Heat olive over medium heat in large skillet and cook onions and peppers for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add spiralized sweet potatoes and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute and then stir in black beans, corn, corn tortillas, cilantro, enchilada sauce and 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese.
- Top with remaining pepper jack cheese.
- Bake in oven at 400°F for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbling. Top with some avocado.
Do I Have to Make Homemade Enchilada Sauce?
No you don’t. I was in the same boat of always buying premade enchilada sauce until I discovered how great this red enchilada sauce recipe is. However if you are short on time, by all means just buy some enchilada sauce.
Similar Sweet Potato Recipes
- Chili Lime Sweet Potato and Chicken Skillet
- Vegetarian Burrito Bowls
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
- Sweet Potato Fajitas
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers
Spiralized Sweet Potato Enchilada Skillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, skins removed and spiralized
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15.5 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.5 oz can) corn, rinsed and drained
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- Avocado and limes for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large cast iron skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and pepper and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the spiralized sweet potatoes and cook for 10 minutes or until al dente.
- Add the garlic for one minute. Then add the black beans, corn, tortillas, cilantro, enchilada sauce and 1 cup of the cheese. Stir until everything is combined.
- Add the remaining cheese over top. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling. Serve with desired toppings.