A vegetarian take on classic fajitas which started originated the late 60s, these sweet potato fajitas will have you wondering why you didn’t try it sooner.
Whenever Lauren and I are wanting something healthy, our go-to is almost always sweet potatoes. I know I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s worth repeating. It’s just so versatile and can be a great replacement for whatever type of meat/poultry you like to have. Since it’s Taco Tuesday, I figured it was an appropriate time to share these veggie fajitas. So let’s make today Fajita Tuesday. I know it doesn’t have the same ring to it.
Back in the day when I made fajitas I used to just buy some fajita mix and add it to the chicken. While it was super easy and quick, I didn’t always love the flavor (depending on the mix I bought). So over the past couple of years I’ve experimented with my own mixture and now have a go-to fajita mix. What’s great is I always have the spices in my spice rack so it’s no problem to put together.
As usual for a weeknight dinner, these vegetarian fajitas are quick to make! During the week, my goal is to have a meal done under 30 minutes, although I will admit I don’t always follow this. But with these veggie fajitas, it takes you less than 30 minutes to make… well actually depending on how fast you can slice vegetables it might take a little longer. So for my vegetarian friends, or friends who are looking for something a little bit different, give these sweet potato fajitas a try! Enjoy!
What Ingredients are in this Vegetarian Fajita Recipe?
- Produce – sweet potatoes, bell peppers, white onion, garlic
- Spices – chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, black pepper
- Olive oil
- Vegetable oil
- Toppings – avocado, cheese, tomato, cilantro, sour cream, lime
How to Make Sweet Potato Fajitas
- Place sliced sweet potatoes in large bowl. Add spices and olive oil and toss to mix.
- Add sliced peppers and onion and toss to coat.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil. Add vegetables to skillet. Note – you might have to use two skillets if it isn’t big enough. My 12″ skillet can fit all the vegetables.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender, stirring constantly. With 30 seconds remaining add garlic to cook through. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Can I Use Other Vegetables for these Veggie Fajitas?
Of course. The main thing is to try to keep the same amount of vegetables. So if you prefer regular potatoes vs sweet potatoes, just use 1 1/2 pounds. Another great substitute would be mushrooms.
Other Taco Recipes
- Sweet Potato Tacos
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Brussels Sprouts Tacos
- Cuban Mojo Pulled Pork Tacos
- Crispy Tofu Tacos
Sweet Potato Fajitas
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin 1/4" strips
- 3 bell pepper, seed removed and sliced into thin strips (use colors of your choice)
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- flour fajita tortillas
- shredded cheese, avocado, tomato, sour cream, limes, cilantro for topping
- Place sliced sweet potatoes in large mixing bowl and add chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, kosher salt, black pepper and olive oil. Mix thoroughly. Add peppers and onion into bowl and mix.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil. Add sweet potato and pepper mix into skillet and cook for about 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to cook them until they are tender and slightly blackened. (You will either have to do this in two batches in the skillet or make sure the skillet is large enough to be able to cook everything) With about 30 seconds left add the garlic and cook through.
- Serve with warm fajita tortillas and toppings of your choice.