Chicken fajita quesadillas. There are many dishes I love. Two that fall in my favorites category are quesadillas and fajitas. So I figured, why not combine theme? I mean to me they’re a match made in heaven! Speaking of both recipes, while fajitas are considered Tex-Mex, quesadillas are quintessentially Mexican.
Oh and did I mention how easy these are to make! Yeah it might take a little more time than just a regular old quesadilla but who just wants a normal dinner? No, I like something a little more unique and this is one of my go-tos. As I had mentioned in my sweet potato fajita post, I now make my own fajita seasoning, but you are more than welcome to just buy a fajita season packet.
To me the seasoning is everything and that’s what makes these chicken fajita quesadillas so good. Well that, and lots of pepper jack cheese, which is never a bad thing! Oh and remember that guacamole recipe I shared last week? Well they are perfect complement to these quesadillas, or anything else for that matter. So set aside 30 minutes of your time and make these chicken fajita quesadillas. Trust me you’ll love them. Enjoy!
Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
- 4 large tortillas
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken, cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, seed removed and sliced into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seed removed and sliced into thin strips
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 cups shredded pepper jack cheese (Depends on how much cheese you want)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Place chicken in large mixing bowl and add chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, kosher salt and black pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil. Add chicken into skillet and cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add peppers and onion into same skillet and cook for 8-10 minutes. You want them to be tender and slightly blackened. With 30 seconds left add garlic. Add chicken back into skillet to warm through and set aside.
- Place tortilla on plate and add 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese. (or more if you desire) Top with chicken, peppers and onions. Try to use about a 4th of the mixture as this will make 4 quesadillas. Fold the tortilla and repeat.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add both quesadillas to skillet and cook on one side for about 5 minutes or until browned. Flip both quesadillas and cook for another 5 minutes or until browned. (I always make 2 first night and 2 second night) Use the pizza cutter to cut into four slices and serve immediately.