These crispy tofu tacos might convince former vegetarian haters like myself that you can actually have a meatless taco. And yes they are actually crispy.
Tacos without meat? Is there such a thing? Until I met Lauren I didn’t believe so. Yes I know tofu has this reputation from the meat-loving crowd that it’s disgusting! And I used to be on that side the fence. That was until I ran into this tofu taco recipe.
So how did I even come across making this? Well it actually starts with Lauren’s Dad, who is a vegetarian. Being as I basically never had a meal without some type of meat, I had to go on the lookout for some vegetarian recipes that I thought would be tasty but also be approved by him. Pinterest led me to this blog, called The Woks of Life with the recipe I’ve adapted below.
I actually confess this was my first time ever even having tofu. I went 28 years without trying it, and never felt like I was missing anything. These tacos quickly changed my opinion. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not a vegetarian, but this is a great recipe for those who are or someone like me who just wants something different. So two years later and these tofu tacos are on the regular rotation of our tacos, which as I’ve mentioned before we have about twice a month.
What Ingredients Are In These Crispy Tofu Tacos?
- Extra firm tofu
- Spices (cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, garlic powder, black pepper)
- Canola oil
- Corn tortillas
- Greek yogurt
Is The Tofu Actually Crispy?
Yes! But like anything that is pan-fried or fried, it only stays crispy immediately after cooking. If you plan on having leftovers and eat the tofu the next day, I wouldn’t expect it to be crispy although it still tastes great.
Other Taco Recipes:
Crispy Tofu Tacos
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- toppings of your choice (cheese, tomato, onion, corn, black beans, avocado, lime wedges)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fold paper towels around tofu and place weight on top to press down for at lease 15 minutes. (This gets some of the extra water out of the tofu which allows for a crispier tofu) In medium bowl, combine cornmeal, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- While waiting for the tofu to drain, place the cilantro, scallions, yogurt, water and salt in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- When tofu is drained, cut into 3/4 inch cubes. In medium bowl, gently toss the tofu in the Sriracha and honey. Be careful not to break the tofu up. Toss the tofu in the cornmeal mixture.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a cast iron or non-stick skillet. Add the tofu to the skillet and allow to get crisp on one side. It should take about 5-7 minutes. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes to get other side crisp. You do not want to flip too much, as it will break up the tofu. When tofu is cooking, warm the tortillas either in the microwave or in a 8 inch pan over medium heat. Build the tacos with your desired toppings and enjoy!