Crispy Tofu Tacos
These crispy tofu tacos are made with a cornmeal mixture that gives the tofu a crunch it would be missing otherwise, making for a great vegetarian taco.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 12 tacos
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- toppings of your choice (cheese, tomato, onion, corn, black beans, avocado, lime wedges)
Corn/Black Bean Mixture
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (14.5 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt + black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
Fold paper towels around tofu and place weight on top to press down for at least 15 minutes. (This gets some of the extra water out of the tofu which allows for a crispier tofu)
In medium bowl, combine cornmeal, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
While waiting for the tofu to drain, place the cilantro, scallions, yogurt, water and salt in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
When tofu is drained, cut into 3/4 inch cubes. In medium bowl, gently toss the tofu in the Sriracha, soy sauce and honey. Be careful not to break the tofu up. Toss the tofu in the cornmeal mixture.
When you heat up skillet for tofu, heat olive oil in small skillet over medium heat as well. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add frozen corn and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in black beans, salt and black pepper and cook until beans are warmed through. Set aside until tacos are done. (You can skip this step if you don't want to make corn/black bean mixture)
Heat the oil over medium high heat in a cast iron or non-stick skillet. Add the tofu to the skillet and allow to get crisp on one side. It should take about 5-7 minutes. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes to get other side crisp. You do not want to flip too much, as it will break up the tofu. When tofu is cooking, warm the tortillas either in the microwave or in a 8 inch pan over medium heat. Build the tacos with your desired toppings.
- Tofu (even extra firm) is loaded with water so it is important to place something heavy on top to get rid of some of the extra water. While I say to do it for at least 15 minutes, 30 minutes is best to release some of the excess water.
- Be consistent when cutting the tofu so it will cook evenly.
- If you don't have Sriracha, you can just use hot sauce.
- When tossing the tofu in the cornmeal mixture, be very careful as the tofu can easily break up.
- Add cold oil to a cold skillet and let heat up to proper temperature before adding the tofu. You’ll know it is ready when the oil starts to shimmer.
- To make the corn tortillas pliable, heat a small skillet over medium heat and cook for 30 seconds on each side. You can also cover the tortillas with a wet paper towel and place in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Serving: 1taco | Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 125mg | Potassium: 369mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Vitamin C: 8.3mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1.8mg