With quinoa and a variety of roasted vegetables that is topped with crispy chickpeas and some kale pistachio pesto, this veggie bowl is the perfect healthy dinner.
For those that follow this little blog, you know I try to do a balance of cheat food that in a fake world I could eat every day and healthy meals where I actually feel good about myself afterward. Today is one of those days that I’m sharing a recipe that tastes good, but also makes you feel good too! I was actually inspired by one of the healthy blogs I follow – Love & Lemons.
The great thing about vegetarian bowl recipes is you can make whatever vegetables you enjoy. I mix and match, where sometimes I use asparagus or broccolini – it really is your call. At the end of the day though, this kale pistachio pesto is what puts this recipe over the top. I just love pesto and it’s the perfect complement for the vegetables and quinoa. And if you haven’t tried the pesto you really are missing out. It really makes any meal better, which is probably why I’ve already used it in at least 5 different recipes I’ve shared including some other grain bowl recipes I’ve yet to share.
Quinoa veggie bowls are great for make-ahead lunches and this one is no different. Just prepare as is but wait until adding the pesto to the veggie bowl until the day you eat it.
What Ingredients are in this Veggie Bowl Recipe?
- Produce – broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale
- Salt and black pepper
Can I Use Different Vegetables?
Yes. The great thing about recipes like this is you really can interchange the vegetables you use. Whether it’s spinach instead of kale or broccolini instead of broccoli. Or maybe you want to add some asparagus. Be as imaginative as you can be.
Veggie Grain Bowl
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 (15.5 oz can) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1/2" chunks
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, quartered
- florets from 1/2 cauliflower, chopped
- 2 bunches kale, stems removed
- 1 cup kale pistachio pesto (from blog)
- 3 tbsp roasted pepitas
- salt + pepper
- Cook quinoa according to instructions and set aside. Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place chickpeas on parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil salt and pepper. In another baking sheet, place parsnips, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Place both in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until chickpeas are golden brown and crisp and veggies are beginning to char.
- To assemble, in large bowl, add quinoa, roasted veggies, kale, and chickpeas and toss pesto to combine. Top with some pepitas.