This easy and healthy Thai butternut squash curry recipe is creamy, rich and perfect on a crisp fall day or any day for that matter. It is super easy and healthy as the sweetness from the butternut squash pairs great with the curry spices.
For those that follow this blog, I try to balance eating my absolute favorite foods like pizza and tacos which I know aren’t the best for me with healthy vegetarian options that are super tasty. To me it’s important to eat what you enjoy, but it all comes down to balancing everything. I’ve admitted I didn’t grow up a huge veggie fan so I’ve had to learn to like it. However with this Thai butternut squash curry, it really isn’t hard to enjoy this!
What makes this recipe so great is while there aren’t many spices, curry is packed with so much flavor it feels like you threw 20 spices into the dish. Being loaded with vegetables doesn’t hurt either! If you’re like me and have to work at eating your vegetables, this Thai butternut squash curry is the perfect dish to eat something that’s tasty where you won’t feel guilty afterward. There’s never something wrong with that combo.
What Ingredients are in this Thai Butternut Squash Curry?
- Coconut oil
- Produce – sweet onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, butternut squash, carrots, ginger, garlic, kale
- Thai red curry paste
- Yellow curry powder
- Vegetable stock
- Coconut milk
- Fish sauce
- Peanut butter
- White rice (basmati or jasmine)
- Toppings – cashews, lime juice, cilantro
Do I Have to Use Butternut Squash?
No. Sweet potatoes and pumpkin are a great substitute for butternut squash. Acorn squash also works well. You can’t go wrong with any of them.
Other Vegetarian Recipes:
Thai Butternut Squash Curry
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 5 cups butternut squash, diced into 1/2" cubes (about 1.5 lbs)
- 1 cup carrots, diced into 1/2" cubes (2 carrots)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 (15 oz can) coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 cups fresh kale
- 1 cup basmati rice
- cashews, lime juice, cilantro for serving
- Cook rice according to instructions. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and peppers and cook for 4-5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add butternut squash, carrots, and ginger and stir to coat in oil. Toss in red curry paste and yellow curry powder and stir until everything is coated. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. With 30 seconds remaining, add garlic.
- Add stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, peanut butter and sugar and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until butternut squash are cooked through. Stir in kale and cook until wilted.
- Serve over rice with crushed cashews, cilantro and fresh lime juice.