Veggie Grain Bowl
This veggie grain bowl is healthy meal that is loaded with quinoa and roasted vegetables, topped with some crispy chickpeas and tossed in a kale pesto.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 (15.5 oz can) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1/2" chunks
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, quartered
- florets from 1/2 cauliflower, chopped
- 2 bunches kale, stems removed
- 1 cup kale pistachio pesto (from blog)
- 3 tbsp roasted pepitas
- salt + pepper
Cook quinoa according to instructions and set aside. Preheat oven to 425F.
Place chickpeas on parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil salt and pepper. In another baking sheet, place parsnips, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Place both in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until chickpeas are golden brown and crisp and veggies are beginning to char.
To assemble, in large bowl, add quinoa, roasted veggies, kale, and chickpeas and toss pesto to combine. Top with some pepitas.
- Use fresh kale and chop yourself so you can easily remove the stems. Don’t buy the pre-packaged chopped kale unless that’s your only option.
- It is mentioned before, but massage the kale with some olive oil to make it less course and bitter.
- If you don't want to make your own pesto, you can buy at the store.
- Be consistent with the size you dice the vegetables so they cook evenly.
- If serving immediately, add the warm vegetables to the kale right before tossing with the pesto. The kale will hold up to the warm and you’ll have a nice warm salad.
- If using for leftovers or a make-ahead lunch, keep the kale separate from all the other ingredients and toss to combine in the morning or right before serving.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 370kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 898mg | Potassium: 1515mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 9800IU | Vitamin C: 382mg | Calcium: 290mg | Iron: 7.2mg