Loaded with veggies, spices and some guacamole, this sweet potato burrito bowl is a great vegetarian option if you’re looking for something tasty.
Oh man… another Mexican inspired vegetarian dish. I know I know… you might be thinking has he run out of ways to incorporate sweet potatoes and Mexican flavors? Luckily for you and me, I haven’t! Listen – I’d love to have something like carnitas or chicken wings every single day. But as well all know that isn’t possible. I do my best to balance my true guilty pleasure with healthier meals that also taste great! So if I’m looking for a vegetarian fix, a go-to of mine is infusing it with Mexican spices.
Spices in general are an easy way to add flavor without adding calories. And sweet potatoes to me are the perfect vegetable to take on those spices. If you’ve ever had a burrito bowl at a place like Chipotle, you know how crazy delicious they are. So I used that as inspiration in creating this sweet potato black bean burrito bowl. And no you don’t have to be vegetarian/vegan to enjoy these. Trust me!
What Ingredients are in this Vegetarian Burrito Bowl Recipe?
- Olive oil
- Produce – sweet potatoes, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, white onion, corn, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, limes
- Spices – chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, kosher salt, black pepper
- Black beans
- Rice – white or brown (you can also just use Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice)
- Salsa verde
- Pepper jack cheese
Do I Have to Make My Own Guacamole?
No but I’ve yet to find a store-bought guacamole that tastes as good as homemade. If you don’t have your own guacamole recipe, then you can try my authentic guacamole.
Can I Use Store-Bought Taco Seasoning for this Vegetarian Burrito Bowl?
Yes. I’ve used taco/fajita seasoning for many recipes like this. I usually just have all the spices to make my own seasoning but if you don’t and it’s just easier to buy the seasoning, it will taste great as well.
- Spiralized Sweet Potato Enchilada Skillet
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- Sweet Potato Fajitas
Vegetarian Burrito Bowls
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1" cubes
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and sliced into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (15.5 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cooked long grain brown rice (1 cup uncooked)
- 3 tbsp salsa verde (use 1/3 cup if you like more heat)
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup guacamole, homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (optional)
- chopped cilantro and limes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In large bowl, add sliced peppers, onion, 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine and spread on one side of large baking sheet in an even layer.
- In same large bowl, toss together the sweet potato, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, kosher salt, black pepper and 2 tbsp olive oil. Spread sweet potatoes on the other side of the baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender and caramelized on the edges. Flip the sweet potatoes, peppers and onions halfway through.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, cook rice according to package instructions. Mix the rice with the salsa verde. Set aside.
- Assemble the burrito bowls. Add rice, sweet potatoes, peppers, onion, black beans, corn, tomatoes and guacamole. Top with some cheese, lime and cilantro.