Loaded with chickpeas, vegetables, a little cheese and of course quinoa, this summer quinoa salad is a great healthy make-ahead lunch option.
We’re all about the make-ahead lunches, especially make-ahead lunches that are healthy and taste like the season we’re in! With summer coming quickly to an end, I’d be remiss not to share this summer quinoa salad that is the perfect make-ahead lunch. Loaded with chickpeas, peppers, cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes and a little bit of cheese, the only “cooking” that needs to done is actually the quinoa which is easy enough. Yes there is some chopping involved but it’s a great way to improve those knife skills if you need to!
Speaking of quinoa, when did it become the go-to healthy option? It seems like just in the past couple of years it’s been the “in” ingredient. You can check out this heathline article about the 11 proven health benefits of quinoa. To me, right now is the perfect time for easy summer salads like this as my fall recipes tend to be a little on the unhealthier side, but just so tasty! So if you’re like me and load up on amazing comfort food in the fall, I would give this summer quinoa salad a try.
What Ingredients are in this Summer Quinoa Salad?
- Produce – green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, cherry tomatoes
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Spices – Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, black pepper
How to Make Summer Quinoa Salad
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- While quinoa is cooking, dice all the vegetables and cheese and place in large bowl.
- Whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in small bowl.
- Add the quinoa, drained chickpeas and vinaigrette to the diced vegetables and mix to combine. Place in airtight containers and keep in fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I Use Different Vegetables?
With it being a summer salad, go with whatever your heart desires with the vegetables. We’ve made it with a variety of vegetables, just depending on what we had. Two great summer vegetables that we didn’t use in this specific example are zucchini and eggplant.
Other Salad Recipes
- Edamame, Chickpea and Apple Salad
- Roasted Thanksgiving Salad
- Veggie Grain Bowl
- Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Salad
- Mango, Kale and Quinoa Salad
Summer Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 (15.5 oz can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, diced
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, diced into 1/2" cubes
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. After cooked, put in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- Dice all vegetables and cheese and mix in a large bowl with the chickpeas. When the quinoa is cooled, add to the bowl and mix together.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients and mix into vegetable salad. If eating as leftovers, you may have to add a bit more dressing.