Loaded with fresh apples, butternut squash, dried cranberries and walnuts, this fall harvest salad is put over the top with a tasty apple cider vinaigrette.
As a kid, salad would have been the last thing I wanted to eat. Caesar salad was the first one to slowly change my tune and now there isn’t a salad out there I don’t enjoy! And with it peak autumn season, I figured it was time to break out this fall harvest salad.
During the fall, there isn’t much better than Honeycrisp apples. I look for any excuse to use them in recipes or just eat them by themselves. Oh and I absolutely love apple cider so why not use both in a salad recipe. I was actually inspired to make this apple cider vinaigrette from past salads on multiple restaurants. It’s always been one of my favorites for a salad, so I did my best to recreate one!
I mean just look at these pictures! I’m salivating right now as I’m posting it! The great thing about salads is they take almost no time to make. Yes you do have to roast some butternut squash, but it’s about as easy as possible! Now you could have this as a dinner and maybe add some chicken or just have as a side, which is what I usually do with a salad like this. So give this fall harvest salad a try.
What Ingredients are in this Fall Harvest Salad?
- Apple cider
- Apple cider vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
- Produce – kale, butternut squash, apple
- Dried cranberries
- Feta or goat cheese
Do I Have to use Butternut Squash?
No. I’m just on a butternut squash kick these days but sweet potatoes, pumpkin or acorn squash are all great substitutes.
Other Salad Recipes
- Healthy Kale Caesar Salad
- Kale Sweet Potato Salad
- Summer Quinoa Salad
- Roasted Thanksgiving Salad
- Mango, Kale and Quinoa Salad
Fall Harvest Salad
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups kale or spring green mix
- 3 cups butternut squash, diced into 1/2" cubes
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple, diced into 1/2" cubes
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- Either whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl or put all ingredients in mason jar and shake until mixed.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place walnuts in baking sheet and toast for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant. Line another baking sheet with parchment paper and place butternut squash in even layer. Toss with some olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until butternut squash is tender. Remove and set aside.
- Toss the kale, butternut squash, apple, walnuts, cranberries and feta cheese in large bowl until mixed. Add vinaigrette right before serving. Enjoy!