Cookies ‘n’ cream ice cream. Now that Memorial Day is over, it’s pretty much summer time. Despite the dreary, rainy, and coldish weather, we had to celebrate appropriately with none other than some ice cream. Not that I ever need an excuse to eat ice cream, it’s one of Ryan and I’s favorite foods (we even have the same favorite flavor – cookie dough… adorable right?) along with pizza of course! There’s just something about a big bowl of ice cream that makes me smile, and if it’s paired with a Heartsong cookie… forget me thinking about anything thing else!
Funny story… about 2 months ago was Ryan and I’s 6 month wedding anniversary (absolutely crazy that we have been married for 6 months already). I had just come home from a long day at work and did my usual of dropping my lunch box on the counter and going to give Ryan a kiss. We talked for a minute when he asked, “so did you notice anything in the kitchen?” I go back in and look around when all of a sudden, the ice cream maker was sitting on the drying mat. “You made me ice cream!!!!!” I excitedly yelled and he didn’t look very impressed. I looked around a little more and but was focused on the ice cream. Ryan then pointed out a big bouquet of flowers sitting right in the middle of the island, sitting right in-between the drying mat with the ice cream maker and my lunch box that I had just put down 5 minutes earlier. Talk about feeling bad…
Anyways, back to the ice cream. This cookies ‘n’ cream ice cream is super easy and delicious (I mean SUPER easy) <– my kind of meal! You just need 4 simple ingredients and an ice cream maker. If you do not have one, I would highly suggest buying one, you won’t regret it. I have been looking around at ice cream recipes and came across something similar to this in a Ben and Jerry’s cookbook. I was skeptical because of the lack of ingredients and simplicity but I was not disappointed. I even say it’s healthy-ish (low fat…) You can modify as you wish, adding whatever add-ins you want or putting whatever wonderful toppings on. Being that I love cookies and ice cream, I decided to combine to make our second favorite flavor of cookies ‘n’ cream.
Other ice cream recipes you might like:
Cookies 'n' Cream Ice Cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (14 oz can) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds removed)
- 2 cups crushed Oreo cookies
- Mix together half and half, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Pour mixture into ice cream maker and mix according to manufacturer's instructions (every ice cream maker will be different. Ours takes about 20-25 mins)
- Once desired consistency, slowly add crushed Oreos to the ice cream maker and churn for 30 sec longer until mixed through. Pour ice cream into a container and freeze in freezer for 4+ hours to get a desired consistency. (Note: you do not have to do this step, but ice cream will be much softer and melt pretty quickly if you do not).