This breakfast frittata is loaded with kale, homemade pesto, roasted red pepper and Parmesan cheese, which makes it a great healthy option to start off your day right. If you like to just throw everything in a skillet and then let the oven do the rest, then this is for you.
Have you ever had or even heard of a frittata? The easiest way to explain it is an Italian open face omelet. Italian frittatas are eggs cooked in a skillet and usually filled with some vegetables. Because you pan fry the eggs for a few minutes before throwing it in the oven to finish cooking, I think they’re actually much easier than a regular omelet. I don’t know about you, but half the time I try to make an omelet, it all looks good until I have to fold it and then it’s a wash on if it will break or actually fold over itself.
So what makes this frittata so great? Roasted red peppers and pesto just go together and give it a ton of flavor. And of course adding some fresh kale just makes it healthier! I actually used my kale pistachio pesto, which is honestly way better than any store-bought pesto you can get. But of course if you don’t have some in the freezer, then just buy some pesto. So give this healthy frittata recipe a try.
What Ingredients are in Kale, Pesto and Roasted Red Pepper Frittata?
- Olive oil
- Produce – sweet onion, garlic, kale, basil
- Roasted red peppers
- Parmesan cheese
How Do I Make an Italian Frittata?
Part of the reason I like making frittatas is I believe they are much easier to make than omelets. You just throw everything in the skillet and cook on the stove top for about 5 minutes before finishing in the oven. You don’t have to worry about folding anything and to me it tastes better anyway.
What is the Difference Between a Quiche and Frittata?
A frittata is a quiche without the crust. That’s really the only difference. With a quiche, you place the crust in a skillet or pie serving dish and then bake with egg mixture, whereas the frittata’s “crust” is formed by the eggs cooking and browning on the outside.
Other Breakfast Recipes:
Kale, Pesto and Roasted Red Pepper Frittata
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup kale, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup roasted red peppers, julienned
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup pesto, homemade or store-bought
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, julienned
- In a 6" cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- While cooking onion, whisk together eggs with milk and salt. Add in kale, roasted red peppers, Parmesan cheese and pesto. Add egg mixture to skillet and cook until bottom begins to set, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to oven and cook for another 8-10 minutes if using an 8" skillet or 20-25 minutes if using a 6" inch skillet, or until top is set. Remove from oven and top with some fresh basil.