Loaded with bacon, sharp cheddar cheese and green onion, these bacon waffles don’t even need maple syrup or butter to taste amazing.
I’ve said in pasts posts I’m more of a waffle guy then pancakes. If given the choice between both, 9 times out of 10 I’ll pick waffles. But if you’re giving me bacon cheddar waffles as the option, I will never pick something else!
These waffles are so good, they don’t even need maple syrup or butter! Now you can’t go wrong with adding either but they’re just so good on their own. The key is to use really good sharp cheddar cheese when making the waffles. The combination of bacon, cheese and green onions stuffed inside a waffle is hard to beat. I mean who doesn’t love bacon? Vegans even love bacon and might eat it every once in a while because it’s just hard to say no sometimes! I’m not naming any names, but I do know a few that fit this descriptions.
Back to the waffles. It’s the middle of December so you might be asking why I’m sharing these today? Well if you are hosting family for the holidays, what is a better way to impress them then making some delicious waffles for breakfast/brunch? Believe me, your family will want to come back every year if you bring these bacon waffles out.
What Ingredients are in this Bacon Cheddar Waffle Recipe?
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Maple syrup
How to Make Bacon Waffles
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, buttermilk, butter and bacon fat.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add the bacon, cheese and scallions. Gently fold in the egg whites until just combined.
- Preheat waffle iron and spray with cooking spray. Add 1 cup waffle mixture and cook according to waffle iron’s instructions.
- Place waffle in 200°F oven to keep warm while cooking remaining waffles.
Do I Really Have to Beat Egg Whites for the Bacon Waffles?
Yes if you want them extra fluffy. By beating egg whites, you incorporate air which is key to making your waffles super fluffy. It takes just 3-5 extra minutes but is worth the time!
Other Breakfast Recipes:
Bacon Cheddar Waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs, yokes and whites separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp bacon fat
- 8 oz crumbled bacon
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 scallions, diced
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Maple syrup for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place bacon on parchment sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crispy. Set on paper towel-lined plate and reserve bacon fat.
- Reduce oven to 200°F. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk to combine the egg yolks, buttermilk, butter and bacon fat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Set aside.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until almost combined. Add the bacon, cheese and scallions and fold in. Finally, gently fold in the egg whites until just combined.
- Preheat a waffle iron and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Add 1 cup of waffle mixture and cook to waffle iron's instructions. (About 5 minutes for me). When waffle is done place on wire rack in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with some more chopped scallions and maple syrup. Enjoy!