Loaded with ripe fresh blueberries and topped with an addicting pecan/oat topping – this blueberry crisp is the perfect summer dessert. Especially if you add some homemade vanilla bean ice cream on top!
It is officially blueberry season right now in Maryland. Now I know it varies by states, with the south having fresh blueberries earlier in the year, but if you are in the middle of blueberry season – take advantage of it. Fresh fruit always tastes different to me, but fresh blueberries might be the biggest outlier. They just burst with flavor. And what better way to celebrate the summer than making some delicious blueberry crisp.
While the blueberries are the star, what really puts this easy blueberry crisp recipe over the top is topping. Instead of just oats, spices and sugar, which is the traditional topping – I add chopped pecans which gives it even more crunch and added flavor. And a good crisp doesn’t work without vanilla ice cream. While I shared mine above, you certainly can just buy some but if you have the time, make your own! So go pick some fresh blueberries and give this crisp a try. Enjoy!
What Ingredients are in this Blueberry Crisp Recipe?
- Granulated sugar
- Lemon juice
- Spices – cinnamon, nutmeg, salt
- All-purpose flour
- Old-fashioned oats
- Light brown sugar
- Unsalted butter
How to Make Blueberry Crisp
- Add blueberries, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and salt in 11×7 or 2 quart baking dish and toss to combine.
- In a medium bowl, make the topping by adding the chopped pecans, flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and toss to combine.
- Use pastry blender or two knifes to incorporate butter into topping until it resembles coarse meal.
- Evenly spread topping over blueberries.
- Bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes or until topping is golden brown and blueberries are bubbling. Let cool slightly before serving.
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries for this Crisp?
Yes frozen blueberries will work as well. You can use the same amount as you would fresh blueberries.
Do You Need to Refrigerate Blueberry Crisp?
No. You can just cover it with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and can keep at room temperature for up to 3 days. Don’t worry though, it won’t last that long.
Other Dessert Recipes
- Strawberry Lemon Bars
- Orange Creamsicles
- Orange Pistachio Biscotti
- Strawberry Ice Cream
- Raspberry Lemon Dutch Baby
- 6 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, diced into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, toss together blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and salt.
- Make the topping by combining the chopped pecans, flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl. Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to work in the butter until topping resembles coarse meal.
- Butter an 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Add blueberry mixture to baking dish. Top with crumb topping.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until topping is golden brown and fruit is bubbling. Cool slightly and serve warm.