The perfect healthy appetizer is these easy and tasty sweet potato rounds with goat cheese, dried cranberries, roasted walnuts and then drizzled with some honey and balsamic vinegar. If you’re looking for finger food ideas, there really isn’t a better appetizer out there. And with the Super Bowl around the corner, these could be the perfect dish to impress your guests.
In browsing Pinterest for appetizers over multiple days, I came across a variety of recipes that looked good, but one that really caught my eye were baked sweet potato rounds from Ciao Florentina. Hence why I’m sharing these today. I’ll admit it was the goat cheese that caught my eye. I just love goat cheese! But I’m not going to lie. The drizzle of balsamic vinegar and fresh honey really put these over the top. They sell honey goat cheese at grocery stores for a reason. It’s just the perfect combination.
Really the only thing that takes some time is cutting the sweet potatoes. But if you have a mandolin, it goes much faster. Lucky for me, I do have one now, although I went the first 30 years without a mandolin so it isn’t a necessity. Just be careful with your fingers! So if you’re hosting or going to a party and looking for finger food appetizers, I highly suggest these easy sweet potato rounds. Trust me when I say they’ll be the hit of the party.
What Ingredients are in this Baked Sweet Potato Rounds Recipe?
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Goat cheese
- Dried cranberries
- Balsamic vinegar
Do I Have to Use Sweet Potatoes?
No. You can russet potatoes and even butternut squash. However keep in mind the baking time mind change as the density is different for each of these. Also, personally for me, I just love the flavor of sweet potatoes.
Do Sweet Potatoes Have to be Peeled Before Cooking?
No. Whenever possible, keep the skins on. The skin adds nutrition such as fiber and potassium as well as texture.
Other Healthy Appetizer Recipes
Sweet Potato Rounds with Goat Cheese
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4 in slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 5 oz goat cheese
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp balsamic reduction
- 3 tbsp honey
- Preheat your oven to 450°F. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, sea salt and paprika. In large bowl toss the cut sweet potatoes with the paprika mixture, making sure everything is coated.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper and place the sweet potatoes in even layer. Bake the sweet potatoes for 8 to 10 minutes on each side. (20 minutes total)
- Transfer to a serving plate and top each with some goat cheese, walnuts and cranberries. Spoon a little honey and drizzle of balsamic glaze over each. Enjoy!