You've probably had roasted Brussels sprouts, but have you had southwestern Brussels sprouts loaded with spices and cheese?
I'll admit it, sometimes I get lazy with side dishes. My go-to is just some roasted broccoli because it's easy and tastes good. But every once in a while I step up my game and today I'm following the Brussels sprouts trend and sharing these Brussels sprouts with a kick.
If you follow this blog at all, you've probably realized I love southwestern flavors. I'd imagine every third post involves it in some way so my apologies if you're sick of it! But hey I love it and I believe most people side with me on this - at least I think so based off reviews of recipes I look up! It's just a great way to add flavor without adding a ton of calories, which is always a good thing!
And while I mentioned being lazy earlier, this really isn't any extra work. Just a few extra ingredients, but mostly ingredients people will have. So if want something a little different, give these a try. Don't be shocked if they become your go-to side dish with Mexican dishes. Hope you enjoy!
What Ingredients are in these Southwestern Brussels Sprouts?
- Produce - Brussels sprouts, limes, cilantro
- Olive oil
- Spices - chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, black pepper
- Pepper jack cheese
Can I Make Shaved Brussels Sprouts Instead?
Yep. You use the same ingredients and bake the same amount of time. The only difference is throwing the Brussels sprouts in the food processor, using the slicing blade attachment. I’m not going to lie, I just recently got into shaved Brussels sprouts, and they are hard to turn down.
Other Side Dish Recipes:
Southwestern Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, ends removed and cut in half
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F. In medium bowl, add Brussels sprouts, olive oil, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt and black pepper and mix until well coated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add the Brussels sprouts, spreading out in an even layer. Bake for 20 minutes, tossing halfway through. After 20 minutes, add the cheese and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and add the lime juice and cilantro. Enjoy!