If you are wanting to go light on carbs or need a gluten-free pizza, this homemade cauliflower pizza crust recipe is perfect to help satisfy those pizza cravings you might be having.
If you would have told me just three years ago that I’d eat pizza where the dough is made out of cauliflower, I would have said you’re nuts! Now it’s my go-to whenever I feel like some guilt-free pizza!
Friday night is pizza night for us. Unless we’re going out for dinner or at a friend’s house, we are guaranteed to have pizza. However one Friday, my office had pizza for lunch and I didn’t really wasn’t feeling it for dinner. Never wanting to go without pizza, Lauren suggested using cauliflower to make a crust so it was healthier and I didn’t feel as guilty. While I was skeptical, I found a good cauliflower pizza crust recipe that I adapted and have since come to the conclusion that the one I’m sharing with you now is the best cauliflower pizza crust out there.
Ironically, the reason I made this homemade cauliflower pizza crust tonight is the same reason I gave it a shot the first time. We had pizza for lunch at my office, but I knew pizza would still be expected for dinner. So homemade cauliflower crust it is! You can do any normal type of toppings you’d like, but we like to try unique pizzas. We happened to make a corn and zucchini pizza which I’ll be sharing at a later time. It was inspired by my favorite blog, Half Baked Harvest, and was featured on Food Network.
What Ingredients are in this Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe?
- Goat cheese
How to Make Cauliflower Pizza Crust:
- Chop head of cauliflower into florets.
- Process cauliflower to rice-like consistency in food processor.
- Place cauliflower on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes at 400°F.
- Transfer cauliflower to thin dish towel or cheesecloth and twist and squeeze out all the excess water. This is most important step but don’t burn yourself!
- Mix together cauliflower, egg, goat cheese, oregano and salt in large bowl.
- Press dough into parchment-lined baking sheet until 1/4″ thick and bake at 400°F for 30 minutes. Flip and bake for another 10 minutes. Add toppings and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
Tips for Great Cauliflower Crust
Squeeze Until Your Hand is Sore:
The key to the best cauliflower pizza crust is to squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Just when you think you’re done, squeeze more. The cauliflower should be very dry at this point.
You can use either a rectangle or circle baking sheet. The key is to use parchment paper so it doesn’t stick.
Use Frozen Cauliflower:
You can buy two (1 lb) bags of frozen cauliflower and just thaw in the fridge the night before. Because they’re already semi cooked, you can skip the cooking stage and just go straight to making into cauliflower rice before squeezing the moisture out.
How to Make Cauliflower Crust Without Food Processor:
- Grate cauliflower with cheese grater.
- Buy pre-made cauliflower rice. Most grocery stores have it these days.
Use Another Cheese Besides Goat Cheese:
You can use shredded Parmesan or mozzarella cheese to replace goat cheese. I just love the flavor of goat cheese so it’s my go-to.
Pizzas that Would Work with this Cauliflower Crust:
Homemade Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 lbs)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup soft goat cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pulse cauliflower florets in batches in food processor until rice-like consistency.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread cauliflower rice evenly throughout. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the cauliflower rice to a thin dish towel or cheesecloth. Wrap up the dish towel, twist it, and squeeze the excess water out. You might have to wait a minute as it will be very hot.
- In a large bowl, mix the cauliflower rice, egg, goat cheese, oregano and salt until well mixed. Press out the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You want to reach a thickness of about 1/4".
- Bake for 30 min at 400°F or once the crust is firm and golden brown. Flip and bake for another 10 minutes. Add your toppings and then bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until your cheese is bubbling. Serve immediately.