If you’re craving fried chicken but need something healthier, these crispy baked chicken tenders will have you wanting more. They are great for a main course or appetizer.
I know what you’re thinking… baked and crispy don’t normally go together. When having chicken tenders, frying is the only way to go right? Wrong! You just haven’t found the right recipe until now with these crispy baked breaded chicken tenders. Believe me I was in the same boat as you before making these for the first time.
January is all about healthy or lightened up recipes. While I wouldn’t qualify these chicken tenders as “healthy,” they are definitely healthier than fried chicken. There are two keys to making this chicken crispy. The first is roasting the panko breadcrumbs for a few minutes before coating the chicken in it. And panko breadcrumbs are a must to get this crispy. If you use regular breadcrumbs then you have no one to blame but yourself! Secondly the batter is key in having the panko stick easily to the chicken so it stays coated.
So if you’re like me and crave some good old-fashioned fried chicken with macaroni and cheese, but you don’t want all the extra calories from frying then I suggest giving these oven baked chicken tenders a try. I can’t help you on a lightened up mac and cheese though, at least not yet… And if you prefer chicken nuggets, try these baked chicken nuggets.
What Ingredients are in this Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders Recipe?
- Chicken tenderloins
- Panko breadcrumbs
- All-purpose flour
- Spices – paprika, salt, garlic powder, black pepper
How to Make Oven Baked Chicken Tenders
- Spread panko breadcrumbs on baking sheet and spray with oil spray. Bake in oven at 400°F for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, flour, milk, mayonnaise and spices.
- Add chicken to flour batter and toss to coat.
- Press chicken tender into breadcrumb mixture, making sure it’s entirely coated.
- Place chicken on a cooling rack on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is done.
Can I Use Regular Breadcrumbs?
You can but I wouldn’t recommend it. The panko breadcrumbs are key to making these chicken tenders crispy. As they are processed into flakes instead of crumbs, they give a light, airy, and delicate texture that helps it crisp as it cooks.
Other Chicken Recipes:
Oven Baked Chicken Tenders
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread panko breadcrumbs on baking sheet and spray with oil spray. Bake for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, flour, milk, mayonnaise, paprika, salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Add the chicken to the batter and toss to coat.
- Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet. Take a piece of chicken and press breadcrumbs to adhere. Place on rack on baking sheet and repeat until each piece of chicken is coated. Spray the chicken with some oil spray. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove from oven and serve with your choice of sauce.