Breaded chicken Parmesan recipe. A super popular Italian-Amercian dish that consists of breaded chicken topped with tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese and mozzarella. For those that didn’t know, chicken Parmesan was actually started in the US and was inspired by eggplant Parmesan which did actually originate in Italy. Everyone has their own spin on it, but this is our version and is Ryan’s favorite dish. November 17th is Ryan’s birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!) which means one thing is certain – we will be indulging his favorite meal of chicken parmesan, fettuccine Alfredo, and roasted broccoli. I mean we have to attempt to be healthy…
For the past four years that I have known him, I offer to make anything he wants for his birthday. And for the past four years he always wants the same thing. Of course, it always seems to be that I work late on his birthday so this makes a ton of food that makes leftovers for at least a day or two. This is his breaded chicken parmesan recipe that I make. He does tend to help even though I ask him not to but I guess he just can’t help himself in being a little involved in the kitchen. Hope you enjoy!
Breaded Chicken Parmesan
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (pounded to 1/2 inch thickness)
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan, separated
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 cups store-bought marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450F. In a large, shallow bowl, whisk together breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper. In another bowl, whisk eggs. In third bowl, place flour.
- In a large cast iron skillet, add oil to 1/4 inch depth and heat over medium heat. While skillet is heating up, pound chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness or buy chicken cutlets that are already thin. Dredge chicken in flour, then eggs and then breadcrumbs, making sure chicken is completely coated. When skillet is hot, add chicken and cook for about 3 minutes on both sides or until browned. Repeat until chicken is down.
- In a 9x13 inch baking dish, lightly brush with olive oil and spread enough marinara sauce to cover the bottom. Place chicken in pan and cover each piece of chicken with remaining Parmesan, marinara sauce and mozzarella - in that order. We add plenty of cheese! Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until chicken is cooked and cheese is bubbly and browning.