This creamy garlic mashed cauliflower is a great healthier alternative to mashed potatoes and will have you questioning why you didn’t try it sooner. It’s the perfect side dish for a variety of meals and is a subtle way to increase the amount of vegetables you consume.
Who loves mashed potatoes? I mean pretty much everyone right? It’s one of those side dishes for me that while I love, I just don’t have often besides around the holidays. Now I ask, who loves mashed cauliflower? For those that have had it, you’re probably nodding your head. For those that haven’t, you’re in a for a treat with this garlic mashed cauliflower!
The first time I had heard of mashed cauliflower, I was pretty skeptical. I mean how does a vegetable as grainy as cauliflower turn into something creamy and fluffy! Well the magic of the food processor does just that. I’ve actually made this dish a couple of times and not told people it was mashed cauliflower and they honestly thought it was mashed potatoes. While this creamy cauliflower mash tastes different, the texture and color is so similar that it definitely confuses people on what they’re eating. Make no mistake though, everyone enjoys this dish!
Mashed cauliflower is a great side dish for the holidays but is also a perfect pairing for meat. I actually recently made it with my Italian braciole, which I shared last month. So if you’re feeling like some mashed potatoes but are worried about the calories, I suggest giving this creamy garlic mashed cauliflower a try, but you might never go back to mashed potatoes.
What Ingredients are in this Garlic Mashed Cauliflower Recipe?
- Produce – cauliflower and garlic
- Parmesan cheese
Cauliflower vs. Potatoes
Really the biggest difference in cauliflower and potatoes is calories and carbs. 1 cup of potatoes is around 113 calories and 26 g carbs. Whereas 1 cup of cauliflower is 25 calories and 5 g carbs.
How to Make Mashed Cauliflower
There are a few ways you can make mashed cauliflower. You can either steam or boil the cauliflower for about 15 minutes. Or you could roast at 450°F for 20-25 minutes. After the cauliflower is cooked, transfer all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Can I Make this Vegan?
Yes you can. Just use vegan butter, almond milk and vegan parmesan cheese to replace the original ingredients. A good example is from renowned vegan blog, Minimalist Baker, who has a vegan garlic mashed cauliflower recipe.
Recipes To Use With Mashed Cauliflower
Creamy Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 (2 lb) head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- rosemary or parsley for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the cauliflower and boil for 15 minutes until soft and tender.
- While boiling cauliflower, heat the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- When cauliflower is ready remove from heat and drain. In a food processor, add the cauliflower, garlic with butter, milk, parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper and puree until smooth. Serve hot and sprinkle some rosemary or parsley on top.