Filled with chicken, homemade pesto, avocado, bacon and cheese, this chicken pesto wrap is simple, filling, and delicious.
And this wrap is the latest and greatest. I'm all about make-ahead meals and there isn't one much better than this.
Why This Recipe Works
- Simple - Most of the work comes from grilling the chicken but let's be honest, that's easy. From there, just add all of the ingredients to the wrap and enjoy.
- Flavorful - You get tender chicken, crispy bacon, herby pesto, soft avocado and gooey mozzarella all in one bite.
- Make-ahead - This has been mentioned before, but the great thing about this recipe is you can make in advance and then heat up when ready.
- Chicken - I'm partial to chicken thighs as it has some added fat to really get a good char when you grill it.
- Bacon - Adds a sweet, smoky, salty flavor and a little bit of crunch in every bite.
- Pesto - I'm partial to making your own pesto. I mentioned above but there are plenty of options. I used almond basil pesto for this wrap.
- Mozzarella - Adds some gooey creaminess that complements everything.
- Avocado - Check for avocados that are slightly soft when gently squeezed, indicating they are ripe and ready to eat.
- Basil - While optional, adding some fresh basil just enhances the pesto flavors.
- Wraps - You just want to make sure they are big enough to hold everything.
Like any recipe, you can swap out some of the ingredients. Some variations include:
- While I like to grill chicken thighs, you can use chicken breasts or even rotisserie chicken and shred.
- I personally like homemade pesto, but store-bought works too.
- Mozzarella pairs well with the other ingredients, but provolone, cheddar or even feta are all good substitutes.
Please note full ingredient list and instructions can be found in recipe card below.
Grill the chicken over medium-high heat for 4 minutes per side.
Cook the bacon at 400°F for 20 minutes on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Spread pesto on a wrap, then layer with ¼ of chicken, diced avocado, bacon, mozzarella, and basil leaves.
Roll tightly into a burrito, placing seam down. Repeat for remaining wraps. Grill over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes until golden brown.
No. I just like to grill them to get an extra texture, but realize it takes more time. They'll taste just fine if you just wrap the tortillas and heat up when ready to eat.
Yes, if desired, you can serve the wrap cold. However, grilling or heating the wrap before serving enhances the flavors and texture.
I like to make all of the wraps ahead of time and then wrap in aluminum foil. I place in the freezer for up to 3 months and warm up when ready to eat.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- To save time, just use rotisserie chicken.
- Warm up the wrap for 10-15 seconds in the microwave so it is pliable and doesn't tear when rolling up.
- Roll the tortilla tightly and secure it with a toothpick or wrap it in parchment paper to prevent the fillings from falling out if not grilling.
Other Wrap/Sandwich Recipes
If you’ve tried this chicken pesto wrap or any other recipe on Chisel & Fork, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below! You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube to see more tasty meals and anything else I'm up to.
Chicken Pesto Wrap
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 8 slices bacon
- ½ cup pesto
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced into 8 slices
- 2 avocados, diced
- 8 basil leaves
- 4 large tortillas or wraps
- Place bacon on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place on a preheated grill over medium-high heat. Cook for 4 minutes per side until done. Slice or dice the chicken and set aside.
- Spread 2 tablespoon of the pesto on a wrap before adding ¼ of the chicken, ¼ of the diced avocado, 2 slices of bacon, 2 slices of mozzarella and 2 basil leaves. Wrap tortillas tightly into a burrito shape and placing seam down. Repeat with the remaining wraps.
- In the same grill over medium high heat, add the wraps and grill for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- If you don’t want to make your own fajita seasoning, you can easily buy one at the grocery store. You'll need 2 packets.
- Slice the chicken and vegetables as close to the same thickness as possible so they cook evenly.
- 90 second rice is easy to prepare and works great for these wraps.
- Buy a block of pepper jack cheese and shred it yourself. Pre-shredded cheese just doesn’t taste the same.