Apple Cider Chicken
If you love apple cider and are looking for a quick and easy dish during the fall, this chicken recipe might fit the bill.
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- salt + pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 apples, sliced into ½ inch wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp sage, chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup apple cider
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup low-sodium chicken stock
Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place skin-side down. Cook undisturbed for about 8-10 minutes, or until the skin is browned and the chicken easily releases from the skillet. Flip and cook for another minute. Remove and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium and add butter. Add the onion and apples and cook for 5-7 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and sage and cook for another 30 seconds. Next, add the flour and whisk until it is absorbed, about 1 minute. Add the apple cider, heavy cream and chicken stock to deglaze the pan. Bring sauce to boil then reduce to simmer.
Return chicken to skillet, skin-side up and spoon some of the sauce over it. Bake for about 10 minutes or until cooked through, spooning some sauce over the chicken halfway through.
Once ready, turn the broiler on and broil until the skin is golden brown and sauce is bubbling, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add cold oil to a cold skillet and let heat up to proper temperature before adding the chicken. You’ll know it is ready when the oil starts to shimmer.
- Do not flip the chicken until it releases itself from the skillet. That is how you know the skin is crispy.
- Use your favorite apples, from Honeycrisp to Gala to Fuji.
- You know the chicken is cooked when it reaches 165°F with an instant-read thermometer or if you cut into the chicken and the juices run clear and there is no pink. Honestly, I always just cut the chicken to see when it is done. If it isn’t just cook slightly longer.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 412kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 33mg | Potassium: 191mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 16g