Apple Cider Chicken
If you love apple cider and are looking for a quick and easy dish during the fall, this apple cider chicken might fit the bill.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (pounded to 1/2" thickness)
- salt + pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp poultry blend (rosemary, sage, thyme), chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 2/3 cup apple cider
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in skillet. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. (It does not need to be cooked through as it will cook the rest of the way later)
Reduce heat to medium and add butter. Add onion and cook for 5-7 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and poultry blend and cook for another 30 seconds. Next, add the flour and whisk until it is absorbed, about 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and apple cider to deglaze the pan. Bring sauce to boil then reduce to simmer.
Add chicken back in and cook for another 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened. Spoon sauce over chicken when serving.
- Use chicken cutlets or cut chicken breasts in half so the chicken is thin enough to cook quickly.
- Add cold oil to a cold skillet and let heat up to proper temperature before adding the chicken. You’ll know it is ready when the oil starts to shimmer.
- You know the chicken is cooked when it reaches 165°F with an instant-read thermometer or if you cut into the chicken and the juices run clear and there is no pink. Honestly, I always just cut the chicken to see when it is done. If it isn’t just cook slightly longer.
- Leftovers will store well in the fridge for 2-3 days in an air-tight container or be frozen for 3 months.
Serving: 1chicken breast | Calories: 294kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 1355mg | Potassium: 478mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.4mg