If you love apple cider and are looking for a quick and easy dish during the fall, this apple cider chicken might fit the bill. And if you don’t like apple cider, I still think you’ll like it!
I have to admit I’ve never been a huge apple juice fan. I can’t really give a great reason, but apple cider on the other hand, I can drink that by the gallon. So while we’re in peak apple season here in Maryland, I’m looking not only for any excuse to drink apple cider, but cook with it as well!Shoot I love apple cider so much, I used it for our signature drink when Lauren and I got married! If you haven’t tried that drink by the way, drop what you’re doing and make it now!
But back to this apple cider chicken. It’s one of those quick and easy dishes that can be made in under 30 minutes which I’m all about. I know a ton of people think chicken is bland, but I always use this to my advantage. What makes chicken great and so versatile is the seasonings and sauces you can use to highlight it. And with this apple cider chicken, the apple cider is the star! So if you’re looking something that tastes like fall and couldn’t be easier to make, give this dish a try.
What Ingredients are in this Apple Cider Chicken?
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
- Unsalted butter
- Produce – yellow onion, garlic, rosemary, sage, thyme
- All-purpose flour
- Chicken stock
- Apple cider
Can I Use Apple Juice Instead of Apple Cider?
In general no. Apple juice is much sweeter than apple cider so the recipe would be overly sweet. You could help offset it with some lemon juice or apple cider vinegar but apple cider is the way to go.
- Chicken Piccata
- Chicken Paprikash
- Chicken Saltimbocca
- Honey Lemon Chicken
- Autumn Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies
Apple Cider Chicken
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (pounded to 1/2" thickness)
- salt + pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp poultry blend (rosemary, sage, thyme), chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 2/3 cup apple cider
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in skillet. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. (It does not need to be cooked through as it will cook the rest of the way later)
- Reduce heat to medium and add butter. Add onion and cook for 5-7 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and poultry blend and cook for another 30 seconds. Next, add the flour and whisk until it is absorbed, about 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and apple cider to deglaze the pan. Bring sauce to boil then reduce to simmer.
- Add chicken back in and cook for another 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened. Spoon sauce over chicken when serving.