Thai Butternut Squash Curry
This easy and healthy Thai butternut squash curry recipe is creamy, rich and perfect on a crisp fall day or any day for that matter.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 5 cups butternut squash, diced into 1/2" cubes (about 1.5 lbs)
- 1 cup carrots, diced into 1/2" cubes (2 carrots)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 (15 oz can) coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 cups fresh kale
- 1 cup basmati rice
- cashews, lime juice, cilantro for serving
Cook rice according to instructions. Set aside.
Heat coconut oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and peppers and cook for 4-5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
Add butternut squash, carrots, and ginger and stir to coat in oil. Toss in red curry paste and yellow curry powder and stir until everything is coated. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. With 30 seconds remaining, add garlic.
Add stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, peanut butter and sugar and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until butternut squash are cooked through. Stir in kale and cook until wilted.
Serve over rice with crushed cashews, cilantro and fresh lime juice.
- Be consistent when cutting the vegetables so everything will cook evenly.
- Add cold oil to a cold skillet and let heat up to proper temperature before adding the onion. You’ll know it is ready when the oil starts to shimmer.
- You control the amount of heat in this butternut squash curry by how much red curry paste you add, so if you like it hotter, add another 1-2 tbsp.
- If you are vegetarian/vegan you can make your own vegetarian fish sauce.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 431mg | Potassium: 717mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 17450IU | Vitamin C: 181.5mg | Calcium: 240mg | Iron: 2.5mg