Brazilian Cheese Bread
This Brazilian cheese bread recipe is a gluten-free bread/snack that basically is a chewy cheese puff made with tapioca flour.
Servings 24 rolls
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups tapioca flour (10 oz)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a medium sauce pan, add milk, butter and salt and heat up. Remove as soon as bubbles start appearing. Stir in tapioca flour with wooden spoon until well combined.
Transfer the dough to a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat for 3-5 minutes or until dough has smoothed out. Let dough rest for about 10 minutes to cool down.
Add eggs to dough, one at a time, mixing for about 1 minute when each egg is added so it incorporates. Add Parmesan cheese and mix on medium speed until everything is combined. The dough should be sticky.
Scoop the dough with an ice cream scoop or tablespoon and form into balls, placing on baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they have puffed and are golden brown on top.
- Heat the milk, butter and salt just until bubbles start to form. You don't want it too hot when you mix the dough.
- Do not replace the tapioca flour as it gives the Brazilian cheese bread its crisp crust, but chewy interior.
- Take the time to let the dough cool before adding the eggs so they incorporate better.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan. Never buy pre-shredded Parmesan cheese as it contains wood pulp. Blocks of Parmesan cheese are also cheaper.
- Use ice cream scoop so you have consistently sized bread.
- Dip scoop in water so the dough doesn't stick.
Serving: 1roll | Calories: 106kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 222mg | Potassium: 30mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 0.2mg