Baked Teriyaki Chicken Wings
By baking instead of frying, these baked teriyaki chicken wings are a little healthier but just as tasty and more importantly, crispy.
Servings 24 wings
Crispy Chicken Wings
- 4 lbs chicken wings, cut into flats and drumettes
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- oil spray
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
Preheat oven to 250°F. Take chicken wings out and pat dry. Place wings in large bowl and add baking powder and salt, then toss to coat evenly.
Line a baking sheet with foil, then place a cooling rack on the foil. Spray the rack with oil spray. Place wings on rack in a single layer with skin side up.
Bake for 30 minutes at 250°F. Increase the oven temperature to 425°F and bake for an additional 50 minutes to 1 hour, rotating the tray halfway through. Remove from tray and let stand for 5 minutes.
While wings are baking, heat large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add the soy sauce, water, brown sugar, dry mustard, ginger and garlic and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and toss chicken wings until coated. Serve immediately.
- Use baking powder that is less than a year old since it has been opened. If you use older baking powder, it won’t be powerful enough to help leaven the donuts. You can test it by stirring half a teaspoon of baking powder into a cup of hot water. It will immediately start to fizz and release carbon dioxide gas if it’s still fresh enough to use.
- Bake chicken on a cooling rack which allows the air to circulate and cook all parts of the chicken wings.
- Wait until teriyaki sauce has thickened before adding chicken wings to toss and coat so they are sticky.
Serving: 1wing | Calories: 138kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 709mg | Potassium: 147mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 300IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg