Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Salad
You wouldn't believe that buffalo sauce and healthy would actually go together until you make this buffalo chicken quinoa salad.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 4 green onions diced
Cook quinoa according to package. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, whisk hot sauce, olive oil and salt. Set aside.
Heat medium skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes or until cooked through. Add 1/4 cup buffalo sauce dressing and then add broccoli and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl or container, mix the quinoa, chicken, broccoli, slaw, carrots and the buffalo sauce dressing. Add the blue cheese and green onions and toss. When serving, add some additional blue cheese and green onion if desired.
- Rinse the quinoa before boiling which removes its natural coating called saponin, which can make it taste bitter or soapy.
- You can control the amount of heat by the type of hot sauce you use. I use Texas Pete.
- If your grocery store doesn't have broccoli slaw, just buy a bag of coleslaw.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 356kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 1357mg | Potassium: 642mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2350IU | Vitamin C: 22.3mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 3.6mg