Butternut Squash Bread
Homemade bread with butternut squash is a unique twist on its more popular pumpkin counterpart but is a favorite fall recipe that is quick to make.
Servings 8 slices
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butternut squash puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted (optional)
Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with butter and dust with flour.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt and whisk until combined.
In a large bowl, mix together the butternut squash, vegetable oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla extract until combined. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. If adding using chocolate chips and walnuts, gently fold them in at this time.
Add the batter into the pan, making sure it is even. Bake for 65-75 minutes, covering with aluminum foil halfway through if bread is browning too quickly. At 65 minutes, start checking to see if bread is done every 5 minutes by inserting a toothpick or cake tester in the center where it comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs.
Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing and placing on wire rack.
- Butternut Squash: There is more butternut squash than most recipes as it adds to the flavor.
- Oil: Better than butter for making a moist bread.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: Made easy by just using pumpkin pie spice instead of a combination of spices. Also has a little more than your average bread.
- Applesauce: Seems a little weird I know, but just a little bit of applesauce adds to the moisture of the bread while also giving it some additional flavor.
- Chocolate Chips: While they are optional, chocolate makes everything better, especially with this bread.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 233kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 215mg | Potassium: 67mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 2700IU | Vitamin C: 7.2mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 0.3mg