Indian Butter Chicken
This slow cooker Indian butter chicken is a lightened-up creamy version of what you get with take-out, but tastes even better.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 (14 oz can) coconut milk
- 1 (6 oz can) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- cooked white rice for serving
In a large bowl, mix together the coconut milk, tomato paste, yogurt, heavy cream, garlic, ginger and spices.
In slow cooker, place onions on the bottom. Add the chicken and then pour the coconut milk mixture over the chicken until it's completely covered. Add the butter and place the lid on the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours. When ready to eat, serve over rice and top with some fresh cilantro.
- Use chicken breasts or thighs. Whatever tastes better to you.
- You can substitute heavy cream instead of coconut milk and regular yogurt instead of Greek yogurt if you prefer.
- If you can't find/use fresh ginger, replace it with just 1/4 tsp dried ginger as it is much more concentrated.
- This slow cooker butter chicken uses a lot of spices so make sure they aren't expired as they'll lose of of their flavor.
- When using a slow cooker, only cook chicken for 2-3 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low, otherwise it will be overcooked.
- You know the chicken is cooked when it reaches 165°F with an instant-read thermometer or if you cut into the chicken and the juices run clear and there is no pink. Honestly, I always just cut the chicken to see when it is done. If it isn’t just cook slightly longer.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 252kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 79mg | Sodium: 395mg | Potassium: 607mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 950IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 200mg | Iron: 2.9mg