Classic Cheese Fondue
This classic cheese fondue consists of Emmental and Gruyère cheese and is the perfect vehicle to dip breads, fruits and vegetables.
- 1 garlic clove, halved crosswise
- 1 ½ cups dry white wine
- ½ lb Emmental cheese, grated (2 cups)
- ½ lb Gruyère cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- Dippers (cubes of French bread, apples, pears, peppers, blanched broccoli, etc...)
Rub inside of heavy pot or saucepan with cut sides of garlic, then discard the garlic. Add wine and bring to a simmer over moderate heat.
Gradually add cheese to pot and cook, stirring constantly in a zigzag pattern to prevent cheese from balling up. Do this until cheese is just melted and creamy, but do not let boil.
Stir together cornstarch, brandy and lemon juice and stir into fondue. Add ground nutmeg. Bring fondue to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5-8 minutes. Do not overcook or fondue will get stringy. Transfer to a fondue pot set over a flame.
- Use quality cheese: it will be more expensive but worth it as fondue is all about the cheese and what you choose will impact the final product.
- Grate the cheese: to get a smooth fondue that melts well, you need to grate the cheese, not chop. If you are feeling lazy, you can use the grater blade of your food processor.
- Add cheese slowly: you can't just add cheese all at once or it won't melt and will form clumps. It's important to stir in a zigzag pattern as well to prevent clumping.
- Use quality wine: the old saying when you use wine in cooking is to use a wine that you would drink. Don't go cheap on a $5 bottle if you don't want to drink it. The wine adds flavor as well. But if you're in a pinch, you can use chicken or vegetable stock.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 242mg | Potassium: 198mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 350IU | Vitamin C: 30.5mg | Calcium: 310mg | Iron: 0.4mg