Cranberry Orange Muffins
This cranberry muffins recipe is loaded with fresh cranberries, orange juice and orange zest, so you get a great combination of sweet and tart.
Servings 12 muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or milk
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp orange zest
Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with cupcake liners. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients and stir in cranberries. In another medium bowl, beat the egg, orange juice, yogurt, butter, vanilla extract and orange zest until everything is combined.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Spoon into muffin pan and fill 3/4 full. Sprinkle tops lightly with some sugar. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Use fresh oranges for the orange juice. You need an orange for the zest so you might as well take advantage of the flavor.
- If you want to mellow out the tartness of the cranberries, toss in 2 tbsp of granulated sugar and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Use baking powder that is less than a year old since it has been opened. If you use older baking powder, it won’t be powerful enough to help leaven the donuts. You can test it by stirring half a teaspoon of baking powder into a cup of hot water. It will immediately start to fizz and release carbon dioxide gas if it’s still fresh enough to use. Baking soda should be less than six months old and you can use the same test.
- You'll know the muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 179kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 167mg | Potassium: 51mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 350IU | Vitamin C: 14.9mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 0.2mg