Sweet Potato Chili
This vegetarian chili recipe is the perfect compromise meal if you're looking for something that is both hearty and healthy.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (28 oz can) fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz can) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- salt to taste
- cheese, avocado, sour cream, etc..
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a 4-6 quart dutch oven. Add the diced sweet potatoes, onion and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally. Once the onions start turning translucent (about 3-5 minutes) turn the heat down to medium low.
Add the garlic and spices to the mixture and cook for 1 minute. Add the vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, quinoa and tomato paste and stir. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. With 30 minutes remaining, stir in black beans and kidney beans. Stir occasionally. Chili is ready when sweet potatoes are tender. The longer you cook the better however. Taste and season with salt if necessary.
Serve chili and garnish with cheddar cheese, avocado and sour cream if desired.
- Be consistent with the size you dice the vegetables so everything cooks evenly.
- Use quality low-sodium vegetable broth. Remember a lot of the flavor will come from the broth.
- If you like more heat, increase the amount of cayenne pepper or keep the seeds from the peppers.
- Don't skip toppings like cheese, avocado or sour cream. These ingredients all help enhance the flavor.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 300mg | Potassium: 1232mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5500IU | Vitamin C: 89.1mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 5.2mg