Fruit and Nut Granola
Loaded with four different types of fruits and nuts, this granola makes for a great healthy snack or breakfast.
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup pistachios
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 12 oz dried fruit, chopped (blueberries, cherries, raisins, cranberries, etc...)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, wheat germ, pumpkin seeds and pistachios onto a large sheet pan. Place in oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 300°F.
In the meantime, combine honey, brown sugar, butter, maple syrup, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, almond extract and salt and place in a medium saucepan over medium heat, cooking until brown sugar is completely dissolved.
Combine the oat mixture, liquid mixture and dried fruit in a large bowl and stir until well combined. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread granola mixture onto baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Break up chunks that have formed. Store in air-tight container for up to a week or freeze.
- Fat is important for granola. If you don't use it, you will just have dry oats. This recipe uses coconut oil but feel free to use vegetable or canola oil.
- Do not substitute quick cooking oats for the old-fashioned oats which this recipe calls for. If you use quick cooking oats, the cook time will be different and the texture won't be the same. Old-fashioned oats are the best for granola.
- Press down the granola before you and after you bake it. This helps with the formation of clumps.
- Do not wait until the granola is really browned when pulling out of the oven. It should just be starting to brown when you pull it out. Always err on the underdone side as the granola will continue to cook and harden as it cools.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 574kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 299mg | Potassium: 473mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 5.9mg