Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
These vegetarian stuffed peppers are hearty and filling and the perfect vegetarian option for any day you feel liking being healthy.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 (4 oz cans) diced green chiles
- 1 (15 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 bell peppers - tops cut, stemmed and seeded
- avocado, onion, cilantro, lime juice for topping
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
In a large bowl, combine quinoa, green chiles, black beans, corn, tomatoes, onion, 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salt.
Spoon the filling to the top of each cavity of the pepper. Top with remaining pepper jack cheese. Place the peppers in a 9x13 baking dish. Pour a small amount of water into the bottom of the baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the peppers are soft and the cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and serve with your desired toppings.
- Buy a block of pepper jack cheese and shred it yourself. Pre-shredded cheese just doesn’t taste the same.
- Adding a small amount of water to dish when baking is important in creating steam which cooks the peppers faster.
- If you like more heat, save the seeds from the peppers and stir in the filling or add some cayenne pepper.
- Don’t skip toppings like avocado, cilantro and lime juice. These ingredients all help enhance the flavor.
Serving: 1pepper | Calories: 398kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 741mg | Potassium: 984mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1650IU | Vitamin C: 396mg | Calcium: 220mg | Iron: 4.3mg