Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Granola
Inspired by Archer Farms, this dark chocolate hazelnut granola is the perfect breakfast topping or snack.
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar in the raw
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp hazelnut extract
- 1/2 tsp barley malt syrup
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
In large bowl, mix oats, chopped hazelnuts, sugar and salt in the raw in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
In another bowl, mix canola oil, honey, vanilla extract, hazelnut extract, and barley malt syrup together in a separate bowl until combined. Add in oat flour which should make a thick paste.
Mix wet ingredient mixture into dry ingredients. (We found that it is best to mix this with your hands in order to keep the clumps) Spread mixture onto a large cookie sheet and press down.
Bake at 300°F for about 35 minutes, taking cookie sheet out at 12 minute intervals to stir, until golden brown. Let granola cool completely and then stir in chocolate chunks.
- Fat is important for granola. If you don’t use it, you will just have dry oats. This recipe uses canola oil but feel free to use vegetable or coconut oil.
- Do not substitute quick cooking oats for the old-fashioned oats which this recipe calls for. If you use quick cooking oats, the cook time will be different and the texture won’t be the same. Old-fashioned oats are the best for granola.
- Press down the homemade granola before you and after you bake it. This helps with the formation of clumps.
- Do not wait until the granola is really browned when pulling out of the oven. It should just be starting to brown when you pull it out. Always err on the underdone side as the granola will continue to cook and harden as it cools.
- Add chocolate after the granola is done cooking and cooled. If adding during cooking process it will melt.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 453kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 82mg | Potassium: 118mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 1.4mg