Short Rib Ragu
This ragu made with short ribs is the definition of comfort food and can be made in an Instant Pot or slow cooker.
- 2 lbs boneless short ribs (or 3 lbs bone-in)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- ½ stalk celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 (25 oz jar) store-bought tomato sauce (I used Prego traditional)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 (3 inch piece of) Parmesan rind
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lb pappardelle pasta
- Searing the short ribs is important as it locks in the flavor.
- Use a quality dry red wine that you would drink like a Cabernet or Chianti.
- Don't skip the Parmesan rind as it enhances the flavor. I always freeze any leftover Parmesan rinds to use for this specific occasion.
- Reserved pasta water works as a thickener for the sauce if needed.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 606kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 467mg | Potassium: 260mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 13g