Chicken Fajita Nachos
Loaded with chicken, tortilla chips, lots of cheese and whatever toppings you may desire, these skillet nachos are the perfect appetizer.
- 1 lb chicken breasts or tenderloins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 packet fajita seasoning
- 10 cups tortilla chips
- 16 oz Pepper Jack cheese, grated
- 1 (15 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup each of diced tomatoes, black olives and green onions
- ¼ cup jalapeños, thinly sliced
- salsa, sour cream or guacamole
Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in cast iron skillet. Add chicken and cook for 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Shred and add fajita seasoning and mix until the chicken is coated. Remove chicken and wipe down skillet.
Spread tortilla chips in even layer over the bottom of the skillet. Add half the chicken, half the toppings of your choice and half the cheese. Add a second layer of tortilla chips and top with the remaining chicken, beans and cheese.
Place skillet in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with green onions and serve with some salsa, sour cream or guacamole or all three.
- Use a Cast Iron Skillet: While you can make in a sheet pan just fine, I believe everything tastes better in a cast iron. Plus it means less dishes to clean as you cook the chicken in the skillet and then just bake the nachos in the skillet in the oven.
- Use Block of Cheese: Don't buy pre-shredded cheese. Yes it is easier to buy and use but the quality isn't nearly as good as shredding a block of cheese.
- Use Toppings You Like: The beauty of nachos is that you can customize them based off the toppings you like. So if you aren't a fan of black olives, then don't add them or if you love tomatoes, add extra.
- Layer the Nachos: To me the biggest key with amazing nachos is layering everything. Don't just throw the chips in and then add all of the toppings. Just add half of the chips, then half of the toppings and repeat again. That way you get multiple layers of chips with cheese, which is the best part.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 372kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 462mg | Potassium: 5mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 550IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 340mg | Iron: 1.1mg