Risotto loaded with homemade pesto, asparagus, cheese and chicken make this dish the perfect Italian comfort food that's easy to put together.
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 5 oz goat cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 cup pesto (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 cups shredded chicken from rotisserie chicken
Heat butter and olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook for about 3 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute Add rice and stir to coat, cooking for another minute. Add chicken stock that is simmering 1 cup at a time, stirring the rice constantly and waiting for the stock to be absorbed before adding more.
While risotto is cooking preheat oven to 400°F. Discard tough ends of asparagus and toss with salt, pepper and olive oil. Roast at 400°F for 8 minutes. Slice into 1 inch pieces and set aside.
Once the rice is tender (should be between 20-25 minutes), add the goat cheese, Parmesan cheese, pesto, asparagus and shredded chicken. Stir to combine. Taste and if needed add salt and pepper. Serve with some Parmesan cheese on top.
- Toast/cook the rice in butter/oil so it absorbs the stock slowly without becoming soggy.
- Use hot stock so when you add to the rice it won't cool everything down and mess up the cooking process.
- Slowly add the stock and wait until it is absorbed before adding more which allows the rice to create that creamy starch you expect from risotto.
- Stir the risotto often enough, but don’t stir so much your arm gets tired. It should be just enough to keep the risotto from burning.
- Keep at a medium simmer throughout cooking, otherwise your risotto with take forever.
- Cook until al dente. Risotto should have some body and bite to it and not be too mushy or starchy.
- Wait until rice is finished cooking before stirring in the rest of the ingredients.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 484kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 812mg | Potassium: 142mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 800IU | Vitamin C: 8.3mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 3.1mg