Chicken with White Wine Sauce
Crispy and saucy chicken thighs cooked in a skillet with a creamy white wine sauce and bacon make this meal a go-to for dinner.
- 8 oz bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, with skin
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- fresh basil or parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add bacon. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until bacon is cooked through. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Keep 2 tbsp of the bacon grease in the skillet.
In a shallow bowl, mix the flour with the Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Dredge the chicken thighs in the flour and add to the skillet. Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add the onion to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add the wine and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, scraping the bottom to get the browned bits. Stir in the heavy cream and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Add the chicken and bacon back to the skillet and bake for 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Spoon some sauce over top and add some fresh basil or parsley for garnish.
- Use chicken thighs as it contributes to the richness of the dish. However if you only have chicken breasts, it will work as well.
- Use quality dry white wine to deglaze the pan. You want a wine you’d be willing to drink as it adds flavor and acidity to the sauce.
- You know the chicken is cooked when it reaches 165°F with an instant-read thermometer or if you cut into the chicken and the juices run clear and there is no pink. Honestly, I always just cut the chicken to see when it is done. If it isn’t just cook slightly longer.
- Leftovers will store well in the fridge for 2-3 days in an air-tight container or be frozen for 3 months.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 502kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 116mg | Sodium: 692mg | Potassium: 272mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g