Baked Eggnog Donuts
These baked eggnog donuts are soft, fluffy and loaded with eggnog not only in the donut itself but in the glaze as well.
Servings 6 donuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp eggnog
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp eggnog
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or rum
- sprinkle of ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 400°F. In another bowl mix together eggnog, egg, butter and vanilla extract and whisk until combined. Add eggnog mixture to flour and stir until just combined.(Over-stirring will make donut tough)
Place batter in ziploc bag and squeeze out air. Cut corner of bag. Spray donut pan with non-stick spray. Pipe the batter evenly in the donut pan. It should make 6. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until stick comes clean. These are a sponge-like consistency so don't expect it to be really browned on top. Remove from oven and remove from pan and cool on a cooling rack.
Dip donuts in glaze and sprinkle a small amount of nutmeg over each.
- Even though they say non-stick, spray your donut pans with non-stick cooking spray to make sure the donuts come out.
- Use baking powder that is less than a year old since it has been opened. If you use older baking powder, it won’t be powerful enough to help leaven the donuts. You can test it by stirring half a teaspoon of baking soda into a cup of hot water. It will immediately start to fizz and release carbon dioxide gas if it’s still fresh enough to use.
- When measuring the flour, lightly spoon it into a measuring cup and then level it off with the back of a knife to get the right amount.
- You can spoon the batter into the donut pans, but the easiest way to get the batter in the pan is by using a pastry bag or Ziploc bag with the corner cut off.
- Just like with any cake type batter that you make, you’ll know the donuts are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the eggnog donuts cool completely before you dip them in the glaze.
- Leftovers will store well in at room temperature for 1-2 days in an air-tight container.
Serving: 1donut | Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 110mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 21g