Lemon Chicken Piccata
With a buttery lemon sauce and salty capers, this easy chicken piccata recipe is my go-to dish during a busy weeknight or just when I'm craving it.
- 4 chicken breasts cutlets (or 2 chicken breasts cut in half)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 lemons, juiced
- ¼ cup brined capers, rinsed
- chopped fresh Italian parsley for garnish
In shallow medium bowl, add flour and mix in salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.
In large skillet, melt 3 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes per side or when chicken is browned. Remove chicken and transfer to a place. Add 1 tbsp olive and 1 tbsp butter and repeat with remaining 2 pieces of chicken. Remove chicken to plate.
Add the lemon juice, chicken stock and capers to skillet. Bring to boil, scraping up brown bits. Reduce heat to medium-low and add chicken back to skillet and simmer for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from skillet. Add 2 tbsp butter to sauce. Pour sauce over chicken and serve immediately.
- Add cold oil and butter to a cold skillet and let heat up to proper temperature before adding the chicken. You’ll know it is ready when the oil starts to shimmer.
- While store-bought bottles can be quite convenient, they lack in flavor compared to the real thing. It really isn’t that much extra work to freshly squeeze the lemons and you’ll notice a difference in flavor.
- You know the chicken is cooked when it reaches 165°F with an instant-read thermometer or if you cut into the chicken and the juices run clear and there is no pink. Honestly, I always just cut the chicken to see when it is done. If it isn’t just cook slightly longer.
- If you want an even thicker sauce, whisk 1 tbsp of flour with 1 tbsp chicken stock and add to the simmering sauce.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 428kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 720mg | Potassium: 274mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 450IU | Vitamin C: 12.4mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.9mg