Roasted Tomato Sauce
This homemade tomato sauce tastes better than anything you can buy at the store and is a great way to control the flavor and quality of the ingredients you're eating.
Servings 5 cups
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lbs fresh tomatoes, sliced in half (cherry or grape)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 Parmesan rind
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 basil leaves
Preheat oven to 425°F. Spread tomatoes, garlic, carrots, and Parmesan rind evenly on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper - making sure to keep the tomatoes skin side down. Roast for 30 minutes.
Add basil and roast for another 5-10 minutes or until the tomatoes are starting to caramelize.
Add everything to the food processor and blend until you reach your desired consistency.
Refrigerate in airtight containers for a week or place in freezer for 3 months.
- Use quality olive oil as part of the taste comes from it.
- When placing the tomatoes on the baking sheet, make sure they are skin side down with the cut part facing up. This allows the skin to caramelize which contributes to the flavor.
- Don't skip the Parmesan rind. I always save the rinds and put in the freezer to be able to use for recipes just like this. It adds a little nutty flavor that can't be topped.
Serving: 11cup | Calories: 179kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 24mg | Potassium: 746mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g