This pesto made with avocado has a unique creaminess and taste and is a great healthy alternative to traditional pesto if you're looking to mix things up.
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup pistachios
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
Add basil, avocado, pistachios, garlic, lemon juice and salt to blender or food processor and blend until thoroughly combined.
With blender or food processor on, slowly add water until well combined. Add the Parmesan and blend for 10 more seconds until just combined. Add to airtight container and store in fridge.
- Use fresh basil leaves to make the pesto. Never use dried basil as it tastes completely different.
- Toast the pistachios which adds a rich, roasted flavor to the pesto.
- Salt is important as it helps break down the basil leaves while also enhancing the flavor.
- Add the Parmesan last so you don’t overblend it.
- If you don’t want the pesto to turn brown, pour a small layer of olive oil over top and store in an airtight container in the fridge. You can also freeze the pesto for up to 6 months.
Serving: 0.25cups | Calories: 130kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 286mg | Potassium: 130mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Vitamin C: 4.1mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 0.4mg