Beer Cheese Soup
This beer and cheese soup recipe is loaded with very sharp cheddar cheese and whatever your favorite beer is which for me is a pale ale.
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 tbsp)
- 3/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (12 oz) beer (preferably pale ale)
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated (aged 2+ years)
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Dash hot sauce
Melt butter in large stockpot over medium heat. Add carrots, pepper, salt and black pepper and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until veggies are soft. Add the flour and stir until incorporated, about 2-3 minutes.
Add chicken broth, beer and half-and-half and cook at a simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring often.
Add cheddar to soup in stages, whisking each batch until smooth. Add the Worcestershire, nutmeg, mustard, lemon juice, hot sauce and 1/2 tsp black pepper and stir to combine.
Use an immersion blender and blend soup until smooth. It should take about 2-3 minutes to get everything. You can also puree in a blender in batches.
Ladle in bowl and eat with some pretzel bread.
- Use quality low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth. Remember a lot of the flavor will come from the broth.
- Use a beer you enjoy as it determines the flavor
- Do not skip on adding the half-and-half as it adds richness and mouthfeel you wouldn’t get otherwise. If you don’t want to use half-and-half, you could try coconut milk.
- Don’t use pre-shredded cheese. It doesn’t taste as good and also has additional ingredients that you don’t need.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the vegetables. It is much easier than adding to the blender in batches.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 452kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 536mg | Potassium: 199mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 3400IU | Vitamin C: 16.5mg | Calcium: 460mg | Iron: 0.7mg